Monday, October 31, 2005

Avoiding the phone

This past weekend, I did a lot driving around from place to place, doing errands and whatnot. It seems that everyone was veeerrryyy busy because at every intersection, I noticed there were people around me who were using their cellphones. It's true. I dare say you find that hard to believe. You are surprised, perhaps even shocked. Especially if you know that using a cellphone while driving is illegal in Newfoundland and Labrador . I know, dear reader, you are saying 'sure b'y, they were at the intersection, they were stopped at a traffic light'. That is true but I watched and they continued to talk on the phone when they moved through the intersections. I watched one quite carefully since she was driving behind me. She was very animated while talking on the phone and was waving her hand around as she drove. Think about that--one hand holding the phone, one hand dramatically waving around and me praying my car was ahead of a three handed woman. I observed her carefully, as I braced for impact, until I scooted out into another lane, specifically to get away from her. I can only hope she didn't hurt anyone. So this made me wonder if anyone has ever been ticketed or fined for illegal cellphone use in Newfoundland and Labrador? I tried to find some stats about it on the government website but decided poking my eyes out would be more fun (and about as useful). If anyone knows any info about this (yes, I mean you four readers of my blog), please add a comment here and enlighten me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home