Saturday, October 22, 2005

Beatles Named Top Icon

Variety has put out a list of the top (entertainment) Icons of the Century and proclaimed the Beatles as number 1.

1. The Beatles
2. Louis Armstrong
3. Lucille Ball
4. Humphrey Bogart
5. Marlon Brando
6. Charlie Chaplin
7. James Dean
8. Marilyn Monroe
9. Mickey Mouse
10. Elvis Presley

I've never been a huge Beatles fan. I respect a lot of their music and scratch my head at some of it. I understand their impact and importance to culture and society but I'm not sure I would put them as Number 1. Then again, I'm not sure who I would put at number 1. This is why I hate these arbitrary lists people come up with. Who decides? (In this case, Variety says they "polled the entertainment community, Variety's far-flung editorial team and our readers via Variety.com") Anyway, I'mjust glad that Bugs Bunny made the list. I love Bogey but I would never put him higher up than Elvis. The rest of the list is unnumbered but includes Pacman and not Pong; Kurt Cobain and not Bono; Snoopy and not Charlie Brown.

Whadayouthink?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home