Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Oh Canada (and Newfoundland)

I am one very lucky human being. I live in Newfoundland and Labrador and while it is often foggy here and the winters are snowy and wet, we don’t have earthquakes or hurricanes or tornadoes. As Hurricane Wilma bears down on various parts of the world and I see Pakistan trying to recover from the horrors of their recent earthquake, I take solace in the place I live. I don’t have a leader named Bush and my country has not been dragged into a senseless war; I can walk freely down my street without fear; I live in a country where my Prime Minister and Premier are comfortable, and accessible, enough to sit down for an interview with some crazy characters on This Hour Has 22 or Rick Mercer’s Report; gay people can even marry in my country. I am lucky and blessed and grateful. I know there are those living in Newfoundland and Labrador who have lost their jobs and people have lost their homes to the recent flood in Stephenville and maybe they don’t feel so grateful today (understandably). But I do and I think more people should try to remember all we have and stop focusing so much on what we don’t.

Sure b’y, I’m just in a good mood today. I’ll be crooked and ranting tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home