Saturday, January 07, 2006

Hatching my blog and dispatching my opinion

Hatching, Matching and Dispatching had its series premiere last night and I think I liked it more than I did when they aired the pilot. There have been some changes, though. Mary Walsh’s matriarchal character is no longer named Mamesanne but is now Mamie Lou. Not sure why that happened. Not like Mamie Lou rolls off the tongue. Why do we seem to have to try so hard to have “Newfoundland names” like Phonse and Cyril and unique names like Mamie Lou or Odelette (from Rabbittown)? The daughter, Darlene, is extra crazy now, complete with biting her mother and dancing with a fridge. I liked it better when she was a little subtler. Joel Hynes’s character of Nick is no longer just a necrophiliac (who couldn’t “get it up” any other way in the pilot). He is now a sex addict, taking to humping his girlfriend Darlene’s leg until the skin is raw. Shaun Majumder’s Cyril seems to have a South Park Kenny thing going on, appearing to die at the end of the pilot then seeming to do the same twice in last night’s episode. I like that and look forward to more accidents for Cyril. This sounds very over the top as I write it but I like it and I laughed at it and that is more than I can say for any of the other comedy pilots CBC aired this week. I say bring on more.

3 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Stephen Eli Harris said...

Bring more on indeed. I was pretty impressed with the first episode and can't wait for tomorrow night to see more... provided I have the time of course. Quirky and new is what I like and this is exactly that!

Stephen

Green Party of Newfoundland Blog
http://newfoundlandgreenparty.blogspot.com

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Scotty said...

"You bastards, you killed Cyril" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Sure b'y said...

LOL Too funny Scotty and you're right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home