Thursday, January 12, 2006

Why not call it a novel

(With thanks to Nancy)

It seems that James Frey was not so truthful in his "memoir" A Million Little Pieces. I've mentioned him before and rereading the Salon article I referred to in that post is almost hilarious now. The whole "I don't give a fuck what you think about me" thing James had going on is in stark contrast to the whiny defensive in the Larry King video from Larry's show last night.

But I wonder why, if it is not factual, did he call it a memoir? I'll not mull over too much about the difference between biography and memoir but if you're going to really go out of whack with the facts, why not call it a novel. Hell, call it an autobiographical novel (makes as much sense as "creative nonfiction" which seems to be so popular these days). You can still tell the horrific story of your addiction and recovery (although that's where he rings untrue to me at times and I know whereof I speak), just change the genre. Oh, I know it got rejected as a fictional piece so he says he edited out the fictional parts and sent it to publishers as a memoir. Sounds like he should have edited a lot more.

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Bad new is good news I guess. This new surge of publicity is already helping his book.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Sure b'y said...

Ain't that the truth. I wonder if it will increase or decrease sales of his next book (also, I think, a "memoir"), My Friend Leonard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home