Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Oscar picks

Ebert, I am not. Nor have I seen half of the movies and performances nominated but I try to stay up on the buzz, the hype, get the down-low, you know. So here are who I think will win:

Best Supporting Actress: Catherine Keener, "Capote"

Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"

Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"

Best Director: Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain" (Whenever you don't win best picture they give you this--or best writing)

Best Original Screenplay: Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash" (same reason as above and because it was a phenomenal screenplay)

Adapted Screenplay: Larry McMutry and Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain" (Because E. Annie Proulx wrote the original short story and we all love her here in Newfoundland. What? Really? We don't? Hmmm. Oh.)

Best Picture: CRASH!!!! (I know I said it would win best screenplay because it might not win the Oscar but I don't care. It deserves them both. So there.)

And I think Jon Stewart will do a phenomenal job as host. I also predict I will have polished off at least one bottle of Wolf Blass (Red or Yellow label--won't know till I go to the rack) by the end of the night. It is a must to get through all the boring categories and speeches between Best Supporting Actor/Actress at the beginning of the night and the bigger categories 3 hours later.

3 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Clinton P. Desveaux said...

No new Nick Hornby books were turned into movies this year which is too bad. I like your Oscar picks, good choice

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Helmut said...

You done good, sure b'y!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Sure b'y said...

Except for the supporting Oscars. I picked both those suckers wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home