Monday, March 06, 2006

Post Oscar recap

Okay, so I suck at picking Oscars for supporting roles but I got all the other ones right. Well, not so much Jon Stewart. I love the guy but I think he was out of his element, especially in a year where the Academy decided to play one film clip for each person watching for a total of about a billion. I mean, what was it with all the film clips? There were funny moments like the montage of clips from old westerns where it looked like the cowboys were gay. I laughed out loud at that. The night turned out to be a yellow label night on the wine front so that was nice. I came away with some questions though, that I would like to share with you:

What the hell was that on Charlize Theron's shoulder?

Has John Travolta's hair become a helmet? It looks like someone painted it on.

Were the teleprompter operators drunk last night or just the presenters? I don't
think I've seen so many people having trouble reading their lines before, especially the normally wonderful Lauren Bacall who seemed to breathe a sigh of relief when her introduction to yet another montage of film clips was over.

All in all, a dull night for me. I think if Felicity Huffman had won and made a speech or Philip Seymour Hoffman had barked his acceptance speech like he was supposed to, it would have been a much more interesting night. As it was, no speech stood out and the only interesting part of the night was when Three 6 Mafia won best song for "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp". I don't even think that should have won. I figure just enough people voting said to themselves, "ah, shag it, I'll vote for the pimp song" and last night all of them did a collective WTF?

But Crash won best pic and that made me happy (oh, and the wine, the wine helped too).

1 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger Robert said...

i was surprised "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" won. I though Dolly Parton was going to take it. She seems to be one of 'the cool artists to like' these days... plus the song is pretty cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home