Thursday, June 15, 2006

Reality TV for Dummies

Rather than ride the wave of popular televion genres, CBC TV decided it would wait until the wave crashed onto the shore before hopping on. Thump! Ow, that must hurt, CBC. All that sand in your face. Ah well. Put a band-aid on that or maybe just hemorrhage some more of our money instead. Yes, people, CBC is bringing this new fangled thing called Reality TV to Canada. Yup. It's true. CBC's new "reality-based" shows include:



  • The Canadian One will be a search for the country's greatest unsigned musical talent. Hey, I bet something new like that will work. You know what would be really funny? Oh, this is a great idea so listen up, CBC: why not tape the auditions and, okay, this is the crazy part, don't just show the good auditions but show the really bad ones too. I know! Great idea, hey? I have a million of them. (Email me and I'll tell you a new idea I have for a show about a bunch of people who live on an island and one by one they get voted off or leave voluntarily--I was thinking of calling it Newfoundland.)

  • Test the Nation: National IQ Test: a live quiz show that tests participants' analytical skills. Oh my God! I hope it's not on Tuesday nights because I wouldn't want to be forced to choose between House and this show.

  • Underdogs: Wendy Mesley is to host a five-part series about consumers fighting back against business. Okay, I might watch this one (if it's on early in the evening when nothing else is on) but couldn't they call it something kick ass like, I don't know, Fear Factor, the Consumer Edition .

  • Dragon's Den: which will ask entrepreneurs to negotiate the world of business financing. Again, not familiar at all. Where do the CBC brain trust in their new "factual entertainment division" get these uber-creative, think-outside-the-box kind of ideas?

Snarky? No, I'm not feeling snarky today? Why do you ask?

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger SkylarKD said...

A National IQ Test, and a show about business financing?! Goodness, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel, aren't they?

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Sean Wise said...

Are you kidding me?

Dragon's Den on the BBC rocks....where else do you get 5 actual multimillionaires hearing pitches from aspiring entrepreneurs. This show is made for the CBC.

This isn't the Apprentice, this is reality!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home