Saturday, August 05, 2006

Judge finds Parsons guilty

Now I am just speculating but I'm thinking that Robert Parsons and his lawyer thought it would be an easier sell to try to persuade a judge that Parsons had a diabetic blackout after consuming a lot of pepsi (with the rum he drank) than a jury. I'm guessing they figured a jury would be swayed by the pain of the parents of Matthew Churchill, who lost their only son, or the pain of his friend who tried in vain to help Matthew after Parsons drove off and left them alone on the side of the road. But the judge, God love his heart, saw through this whole defence and found him guilty of leaving the scene of the accident. He did not believe that Parsons managed to somehow ignore the huge smashed area of his windshield where Matthew had left his mark and drove onto a legion then home and to bed, not actually contacting the police about this until after he had contacted said lawyer. I've never smashed a teenager with my car but I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that if I had done so, I would be a screaming, bawling mass of remorse and shame, running to throw myself on the mercy of the police and the child's family, not stopping for a second to contact a lawyer. But hey, that's just me.

For more about Matthew, read the website his parents created in his memory. The Life Without Matt entries, especially from his mother, will rip your heart out. I just hope and pray these people can find some modicum of closure now and can try to begin the rest of their lives, with this huge hole left behind.

1 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger Tim said...

This is ridiculous. I knew all along he would get nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Drunk drivers never get punished for their actions.

It makes me so angry seeing people get away with endangering people like this, and then getting away with it. The best way of eliminating drunk driving is to actually punish the monsters, it is their fault and they should be held accountable.

Then again, I suppose someone could always find that piece of scum or his lawyer walking down the road, run them down, then take a shot of vodka and get away with a slap on the wrist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home