Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Peter Whitmore and the failed justice system

The ten year old allegedly abducted by Peter Whitmore, has been found alive. That is the good news. 14-year-old Jordan Bruyere is not yet safe and Whitmore, as of this time, is not in police custody. That is part of the bad news. The other bad news is the fact that our justice system is doing sweet FA to help protect the kids in this country against people like Whitmore. Here's a little rundown of Peter's past offenses:

In 1993: convicted of abduction and five sexual offences involving four young boys in Toronto --16 months in custody.

Nine days after his release: takes an 8-year-old girl from Guelph to Toronto--sentenced to more than 4 1/2 years in jail.

Less than a month after release: found in a downtown Toronto motel with a 13-year-old boy--sentenced to one year in jail.

In 2002: found guilty of probation violations including being found with a five year old boy and carrying a "rape kit" that included latex gloves, pictures of young children, tubes of jelly lubricant, duct tape, a sleeping bag and plastic zipper ties that can be used as handcuffs--sentenced to three years in jail.

And somewhere between there and this new disaster, he managed to spend some time in a quiet neighbourhood in Newfoundland and Labrador where no one had a clue what kind of monster was living on their street.

Does anyone in their right minds, or even with half a brain, honestly think that this guy is going to be rehabilitated? Seems to me that the laws are protecting the rapists and not the children out there who are being raped. When are the lawmakers in this country going to realize that sexual predators do not change? A recividism rate of 77% of those with previous sexual offenses, who selected extrafamilial boy victims, and who were never married, does not bode well for anyone who is a sexual offender. And to be honest, I don't care if the rights of the other 23% are trod on. Tough. Maybe you shouldn't have committed a sexual offense against a child!

I don't care if they have to build new jails in every province to house them, get these people off the street and protect the innocent kids who are their prey.

2 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger John Mutford said...

I totally agree. Why is it that the rights of children seem not to be all that high a priority, especially when compared to the rights of sickos like those mentioned in your post?

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall a story a couple of years ago about a judge in BC who was FINALLY apprehended for himself being a sexual predator. The fact is, that many of the people who are put in positions of trust to protect our kids are actually evil like Whitmore. If we only knew how many of these pieces of filth make the rules, we would all be very terrified. We need to overhaul our system of justice before this happens again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home